Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

3 weeks old and working through this new life.

I can't tell you how many times I've thought about sitting down and writing this blog post.  It started a week ago when Ty was 2 weeks old.  Time passes by too quickly and it's very hard to get a moment to myself.  Between a rambunctious toddler who needs to know "mom" is still her mom and a very needy newborn who likes to be held more often than not, my days are mostly a blur.

Just as he proved in the womb, Ty is a challenging baby.  Our days aren't terrible but come evening and into the night he becomes very fussy.  I'm lucky to get a few hours of sleep without him in my arms.  I am exhausted, to say the least, and just praying that this temperament of his won't last for months.  I'm not convinced he isn't showing signs of colic or reflux but I'm trying to figure out his pattern and see if it's worth going to the doctor before his 2 month check.  It's very different for me as Delia was a wonderful baby.  She ate roughly every 3 hours except for during growth spurts, slept in between feedings at night and would fall asleep on her own.  We smothered her with attention of course, but she didn't need it to be happy.  On a good note, he is a very healthy eater and had exceeded his birth weight at 2 weeks. I am exclusively breastfeeding and doing it on demand.  This means he could eat anywhere from every hour to 3 hours.  He really has no set routine there.  We moved into size 1 diapers fairly quickly and even the newborn cloth I bought for him is already too small.  He has grown out of newborn clothing but is not quite filling out 0-3 month so we are sort of in between there.

Delia is doing well in her big sister role and even though she doesn't pay him a lot of attention, what she does give him has been nothing but nice so far.  I thought I would have more feelings of sadness at losing her as my only baby, but they haven't hit me.  I now look at her as my "big baby" and Ty is my "little baby".  As difficult as this adjustment has been for Seth and myself, I love our family.  I know we will fall into some regularity eventually.

Here are a few pictures from his first few weeks of life.  


His first bath which he hated, obviously. 
 

In cloth!


 Milk drunk.  


 He loves to be worn in the k'tan.  

 





No comments:

Post a Comment